Step 1: Choose your sport. Coaches may participate in one sport per season—summer, fall and winter.
Step 2. Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements below.
Step 3. Complete and submit the Interest Form below. Be sure to include your contact information and region.
Step 4. That’s it! We will contact you!
Coaches come from all walks of life. Some have coaching experience, but many do not. However, they all have one thing in common. They’re committed to Special Olympics New York and the athletes they coach. All coaches must:
- Be 16 years old for certification (and 18 to travel to competitions with athletes)
- Have government-issued identification (driver’s license, military ID or passport)
- Have knowledge and/or experience in the sport being coached
- Commit two to three hours for practice on one day of each week during an eight- to 12-week season
- Spend an additional one to two hours per week on planning during the season
- Commit two to three weekends to competition during the seasons, plus regional or super-regional, national and world games, as needed
- Complete a full application, background check and multiple online and in-person training courses
- Complete coaching recertification every three years
2020 Coach of the Year Joe Amadeo