Special Olympics New York Communications & Social Media Marketing Internship
Special Olympics New York seeks passionate, creative individuals throughout the state to join the Office of External Relations as Communications and Social Media Interns. Interns in each region of the state will attend local Special Olympics competitions and events to obtain interviews, photos, and videos of athletes for public use. Candidates will create and share content for the organization’s internal and external audiences on social media and other communication channels.
Candidates will develop their skills in live social content, news and creative writing, video editing, and collaboration. Reporting to the Director of Digital Engagement and working with their peers in each region of New York, candidates will gain valuable workforce experience with a respected statewide nonprofit that serves 31,000 athletes with intellectual disabilities.
- Completed or working toward a major in a related field (communications, marketing, video production, journalism, etc.)
- Previous experience crafting social posts for nonprofits, brands, and/or agencies is preferred
- Possessing excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and attend once-a-week video meetings
- Knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and TikTok best practices
- Knowledge of social media management software, particularly AgoraPulse, is preferred
- Prior volunteer experience with Special Olympics is preferred
- Travel to and cover local competitions and events (usually on weekends)
- Collaborate with Special Olympics NY staff prior to and during events, both virtually and in-person
- Learn history and mission behind Special Olympics
- Adhere to social media style guide
- Write or contribute to blog posts and news stories
- Complete Special Olympics NY volunteer training
- Other responsibilities as needed
Minimum of 10 hours per week each semester, with option to contribute more if able. Must also attend once-a-week video meetings.
Special Olympics New York is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, age, parental status, socio-economic background, military service, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable law
Special Olympics New York has earned recognition as a 2022 Top Workplace in the Capital Region by the Albany Times Union.
Please send cover letter, resume, and 1-3 sample stories or social media content to Kyle Massa at firstname.lastname@example.org.